Friday, November 5, 2010

Proustian Questionnaire



There are two sections of Vanity Fair that I really enjoy - the My Stuff section and the Proust Questionnaire.  In My Stuff, a person of some note, whether it be a chef, designer, or artist, fills out a questionnaire about their favourite things.  These range from toothpaste to watches to sheets and most of the answers are elitist and pompous.  Then again, so are the questions.  I mean, what kind of questionnaire asks you your favourite brand of stationary? If you have a favourite brand of stationary (almost always Smythson of Bond Street) than you are not of the common man. But I love it all the same.
The Proust Questionniare features celebrities and is always on the last page of the magazine.  In the past few editions, one question has jumped out to me.  When asked what trait he would most like to change about himself, the political commentator Bill Maher answered "My desperate need to be liked".  I laughed because I too suffer from this affliction.  I think it's a deplorable quality but one that I can never truly shake.  


Take your own Proustian Questionnaire here:
http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/proust-questionnaire

No comments:

Post a Comment